Sunday, January 15, 2012

This (just past) Christmas, I had a really hard time getting enthused about the holiday. Sure, I went shopping, totally spoiled my nephews, spent time with family...yada yada. But, somehow, I couldn't FEEL the season. The weather's been unseasonably warm, we've had almost no snow...it just didn't feel right. I set up my creches and figurines in my living room, but the lights, ornaments, and tree never put in an appearance. Other than the opening of presents on Christmas Day and the wonderful Christmas Sacrament meeting (church service), it was just a very pleasant family oriented week. (Oh and lest I forget, the great fun I had being a Secret Santa at work, of course :))

Now, I've never been one to really celebrate Valentines' Day much. I've never had a sweetheart at the time to be all mushy with, or really had much use for it. For a while, a couple of roommates and I used to celebrate the day as S.A.D. (Singles' Awareness Day). We would dress in  black, have a big potluck dinner/party with all of our single friends, etc.

I really can't quite explain it, but this year, I am actually pretty excited about this holiday...for probably the first time EVER. I've crocheted two heart garlands...one for my house and one for the NICU. I've been researching Valentines' recipes. I'm even considering making homemade Valentines for my friends. What changed? Who knows? But, I kinda like it. :)

0 comments: