Saturday, May 31, 2008

Merrily we camp along!




















The time for the Tanner family annual campout rolled around again this weekend. I managed to make the drive out past Rush Valley on less than 3 hours sleep. Luckily there was plenty of time for a nice nap in the afternoon after tents were set up and lunch was consumed.
Interesting tidbits from our outing:

~My air mattress is too big for my tent! I have a 2 person tent and a queen sized ultra tall air mattress....the zipper wouldn't close. Thank heavens for over prepared cousins who had an extra tent!
~Swings over streams are great fun. Next time, we need to be there early enough to reserve that camping spot!

~My baby brother Sam may be 16, but he is just a big kid and all the little kids think he is the BOMB!

~Tom and Margo are so cute! Of course, I did already know that.

~Air mattresses always end up on a hill. And you always wake up squished up to the person sharing the air mattress with you.

~There are many different ways to cook with Dutch ovens. I think we used most of them on breakfast this morning.

~If you are bending over the hot ashes of a fire when someone decides to douse them in water, you will be coated in ash and tasting it for hours!

~I miss the stars! There's nothing like being out in the country with a pitch black sky to see the stars by the millions. Sara looked up and said, "The stars make shapes!! I can see a monkey!" It was a fun moment, just Sara, me, and the stars.

~Kids can get filthy dirty faster than it takes me to type that.

~There are actually places where I do not get cell phone service. Both a blessing and a curse!

~There's nothing like a flushing toilet and hot shower to make you feel fresh and clean.
~I love camping. I'd love to go every weekend I'm free.

Oh, a sidenote for those following my Grandma's progress... We went and visited her in her SNF (skilled nursing facility) today. She looked like Grandma again, just a bit confused and weak. It was good to see her looking like herself again. Tom, my cousin Spencer, and I all have sets of keys to Grandma's house now and will be checking up on things regularly as well as picking up mail that her neighbor's will collect for her. I don't know how long term her skilled nursing care needs will last, but she won't be able to live alone again. *sigh* :(

0 comments: