Monday, June 23, 2008

Fly Away Home

There were a few nervous moments today with a couple of the baby birds. Apparently the two older babies are about fully feathered and ready to start trying out their wings. When I peered out at the porch this afternoon, one was perched on my bike and the other in my hanging pot of begonias. I opened the door a bit to try to get a better picture of them and the two of them took off! Both of the babies flew right off my patio!

I'm on the second floor and wasn't sure if they'd be able to get back up here. Well, the mama and papa birds kept flying up to the porch, tweeting at the other two babies and frantically flying off. After about 15 minutes of this, one of the parents showed up with a baby tagging along. However, of the other little one, there was no sign. I anxiously kept watching the frantic parents search for him/her. Finally, I had to leave to meet up with the girls.

As I walked out, I noticed on my neighbor's porch what looked like the lost fledgling. He found his way back...to the wrong porch. I left it up to the parents to try to herd home the lost one. Sure enough, when I returned home, he/she was safely nested with the other three siblings.

0 comments: